Posted in blog,Injuries on January 10, 2022
A product recall is the process of retrieving and replacing defective goods for consumers. When a company issues a recall, the manufacturer absorbs the cost of replacing/fixing defective products and is responsible for reimbursing affected consumers.
Some recalls ban the sale of an item and instruct you to throw away the product. Other recalls may ask you to return the item for replacement or repair. The most common recalled products include child safety seats, cosmetics, food, medication, toys, and vehicles.
Where Can I Find Information on recalls?
By staying one step ahead of product recalls, you can protect yourself and your family from harm. Here are some helpful resources concerning product recall information:
- Recalls.gov (Lists recalls from federal agencies)
- NHTSA.gov (Publishes safety information on vehicles and equipment)
- FSIS.USDA.gov (Recalls on meat, sausage, poultry, and processed egg items)
- FDA.gov (Food recalls, medicine, medical devices, biologics, cosmetics, radiation-emitting products, pet food, and veterinary drugs)
- Foodsafety.gov (Publishes food recalls from the government)
Reporting safety concerns
In some cases, you may become injured or develop an illness from a product that hasn’t yet been recalled. This is an unfortunate circumstance to be in; however, you are also in the unique position to help other consumers by reporting the issue. The government accepts complaints about unsafe and mislabeled products at the following sites:
- FoodSafety.gov directs you to the correct agency to report unsafe food products. This includes pet supplies and food sold in restaurants. You can also submit a report online to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.
- NHTSA.gov accepts complaints about defective vehicles and car accessories.
- SaferProducts.gov allows you to report incidents and safety concerns with consumer products. You are also able to read database of incidents reported by other people.
If a dangerous or defective product caused you or a loved one to sustain an injury or develop an illness, our team at Manchin Injury Law understands and wants to help. Together, we can get hold the appropriate company/individuals accountable and create a safer market for consumers everywhere.