call for a free consultation
Sharing the Road with Large Trucks in Unpredictable Weather
Posted in Uncategorized on January 27, 2022
It’s no surprise that the weather in West Virginia can be very unpredictable, especially during the winter months. We can start the day with sunshine and end it with inches of snow. While most of us are familiar with the sporadic weather changes, it can be challenging to operate a vehicle when you’re sharing the road with a large truck or tractor-trailer. Below are some tips to follow if you find yourself surrounded by large trucks during inclement weather:
Wind and Rain
- Slow Down – Rainy conditions equal slippery roads. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCA) suggests reducing your speed by 1/3 when roads are wet.
- Turn your lights on – Many states require your lights to be on while it is raining. Headlights can help to maintain visibility.
- Give yourself plenty of space – You should never follow too closely, but it becomes even more important driving near trucks in the rain. Large semi-trucks and tractor-trailers cause water to spray from their tires, obstructing your view of the road and other vehicles around you.
- Pay attention to swaying – If the truck’s load is light, there is a higher chance for the wind to cause swaying. If you notice this occurring, take caution when passing.
Snow and Ice
- Watch for trouble areas – Black ice is hazardous because you are unable to see it. Pay close attention and decrease speed in areas where black ice is possible.
- Never stop on the shoulder – Trucks can lose control and slide into your car. If there is an emergency and you need to pull off, try to find the nearest rest area or gas station.
- Keep your lights on and clean – Ice and snow can build up on your lights, decreasing your visibility. Large trucks already have a difficult time seeing smaller vehicles, especially if their headlights are not visible.
With West Virginia’s unpredictable weather and increasing number of large trucks on our roads, it is no shock that accidents continue to occur. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, Manchin Injury Law can help. Call us today for a free consultation.