To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick & easy remote intake process. Click here to learn more.
Posted in Car accident,Uncategorized on August 26, 2013
You’ve just been in a car accident and confusion abounds. Whether it be a minor impact collision, or a major wreck, car accidents can cause major headaches as they often cause an individual to deal with injuries, insurance companies and other parties to the accident. Whatever type of accident one has been in, there are always certain steps you should take after an accident.
Here are a few things to do after a car accident:
· Check for injuries. Before being bothered about your car’s damage, make sure that everyone involved in the wreck is ok. If not, call 911 for help.
· Start talking to witnesses. Try to obtain all of the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
· Call your insurance company. Even if you are completely at fault for the wreck, report the incident to your insurance company.
· Take pictures. Taking pictures will help with insurance coverage as you will have proof of the damage to your car.
· Take notes. Taking notes, as with having pictures, will help you detail the nature of the accident and any injuries sustained in the accident.
· Be careful who you speak with. Often, following a wreck, the other parties’ insurance company will try to contact you. If this is the case, you should try to get in touch with an attorney or your own insurance company first. An accident attorney can help determine what information is necessary to provide to the other parties’ insurance. Without fully knowing what information could be damaging to your claim or what information could cause an infringement into your protected medical information, you should not provide information to an adverse insurance company.
· Don’t accept the first offer you obtain. Oftentimes, especially if you are injured, you need to thoroughly evaluate the extent of your damage. If you are still getting treatment for your injuries, you should not settle with an insurance company.
· Get an attorney. If you find yourself in a dispute with an insurance company, an attorney can help ease the stress of dealing with the insurance company and also ensure that only necessary information is provided to the company. Additionally, an injury attorney in West Virginia can help you fully understand the extent of any damages you may have sustained in the wreck.
When you have been in a car accident, be sure to keep these things in mind. Using some of these ideas can help ease the stress that being involved in a car accident can bring.