To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick & easy remote intake process. Click here to learn more.
Posted in Car accident,Uncategorized on July 29, 2013
If you have been injured as a result of another individual’s careless choices, you have rights under the law. As such, you need to make sure that you protect your rights after a car collision so you dont end up paying for someone else’s careless driving actions. Read on for some of the top reasons why hiring an attorney after a car wreck will help protect your rights.
1. You only have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit: Statute of limitations in most states is between 1 and 2 years. This means that if you do not file a lawsuit in that time, you give up your right to file a lawsuit.
2. Your insurance company may have a different idea: Most insurance companies’ goals are to protect their insureds and to compensate them for damages. However, insurance companies also attempt to reduce their overhead and keep costs low. Since the insurance company’s agenda and your agenda may not be equal, hiring a lawyer can often be the best way to insure you have an advocate working to protect your interests.
3. You may not completely understand all of your potential damages: People who are injured in car wrecks have lots of potential damages available to them. Some of these potential damages include medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, and pain and suffering. In certain situations, your family members may be able to recover for the loss of your companionship.
4. Proving liability can often be difficult: Even with a favorable police report, it is often difficult to prove that the other party breached a duty of care. Because there are several elements that need to be shown to prove liability, hiring an attorney is important because the attorney will understand the law and have other sources of law that can support your position.
5. You need to understand settlement options: Many cases settle out of court. Therefore, you need to be able to understand any offers of settlement an insurance company may make and also understand whether or not those settlements are fair and reasonable offers. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help you evaluate whether settling the claim is your best option or whether you should take your case to trial.