To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick & easy remote intake process. Click here to learn more.
Posted in Motorcycle collision on January 21, 2021
With over 37 years of experience as motorcycle accident attorneys in West Virginia, we appreciate the many challenges and dangers motorcycle riders face while on the road. Because riders have no protective structures to their bikes, they are more likely to suffer severe or fatal injuries when involved in a collision.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are about 28 times more likely than people in passenger cars to die in a traffic crash per miles traveled, as well as over five times as likely to be injured. There are many hazards that can cause a severe motorcycle accident. With a little preparation, motorcycle riders and vehicle drivers can reduce their risk of accidents by knowing the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.
1. Lane Changes-Always check your blind spots and signal when changing lanes.
2. Speeding– One of the leading causes of an auto accident is due to speeding. Speeding makes it harder to see and react to other drivers on the road. The higher the speed, the more significant the impact, and the more severe the consequences.
3. Driving under the influence– Drivers who cause accidents because they were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs may face civil and criminal liability.
4. Lane splitting– Driving between two lanes of traffic is called “lane splitting.” This practice is hazardous for inexperienced riders as well as other drivers on the road.
5. Inexperienced drivers– Inexperienced drivers are likely to make unsafe moves on the road that could compromise other motorists’ safety.
6. Left-turn accidents– One of the most common and perhaps the most dangerous of motorcycle accidents is the negligent left-turn driver. Right of way errors or misjudgments of distance while making a left turn are common causes of injury and death to motorcycle riders.
7. Dangerous road conditions– Especially in West Virginia, drivers need to be aware of the road conditions. Anything from rain to the smallest amount of gravel on the road can cause severe damage.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle collision due to another individual’s carelessness, the attorneys at the Manchin Injury Law can help. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our accident lawyers in West Virginia.