call for a free consultation
Motorcycle Safety Tips
Posted in Motorcycle collision on January 19, 2021
Operating a motorcycle takes different skills than driving a car. However, laws of the road apply to every driver just the same. A combination of consistent education, regard for traffic laws, and basic common sense can go a long way in helping reduce the number of fatalities involved in motorcycle accidents every year. It’s essential to understand some basic motorcycle safety tips to ensure your next ride is a safe one. Follow these tips for safe riding:
- Ride predictably: Ride your motorcycle in a way that doesn’t take other drivers by surprise. Signal all your turns and lane changes and avoid trying to cut through traffic by repeatedly switching lanes.
- Wear appropriate protective gear: If an accident happens, a helmet and protective clothing can quite literally mean the difference between life and death.
- Stay visible: Try not to linger in a driver’s blind spot, especially on multi-lane highways and freeways where lane changes are expected. Additionally, avoid riding in between traffic lanes or other places where drivers might not expect to see motorcycles.
- Stay sober and alert: Alcohol and drugs (including legal prescription medication) can significantly impair your ability to operate your motorcycle. Never go for a ride when you are under the influence. Being overly tired or distracted can be just as dangerous – if you’re not confident in your ability to focus on the road, don’t get on your motorcycle.
- Keep your distance: Always stay a safe distance away from other vehicles. Do not ride too closely behind another vehicle or turn out in front of an oncoming car or truck.
If you or a loved one is involved in a motorcycle accident, it is crucial to take steps to protect your rights. This is true even if you don’t initially think the accident is serious since it is very common for motorcycle accident injuries to worsen over time. The experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at the Manchin Injury Law Group can help. Contact us today for a free consultation.