get started today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.




call for a free consultation

Helmets Linked to Lower Risk of Cervical Spine Injuries

Posted in Motorcycle collision on June 11, 2018

Researchers in Wisconsin found that wearing a helmet in a motorcycle crash lowers the risk of cervical spine injury (CSI).

Helmet requirements vary in different parts of the world. For example, in the United States, some states do not require helmet use. In Europe, you are required to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Some choose not to wear a helmet to avoid any limitations with vision, as a freedom of choice, or because they think they have an increased risk of injury because of the extra weight of the helmet.

In a recent study on helmet use, researchers reviewed the medical records of 1,061 patients who were injured in motorcycle crashes. Of those individuals, 30% wore helmets while the other 70% did not. At least one CSI was sustained by 7.4% (about 24 patients) of helmet wearers and 15.4% (about 114 patients) of non-helmet wearers. CSIs and ligament injuries were both significantly higher in those individuals who did not wear a helmet.

In the United States, only 19 states require all motorcyclists to wear a helmet. In West Virginia, all motorcycle operators and passengers are required to wear a helmet that is fastened by a neck or chin strap. Additionally, all riders and passengers are required to wear safety, shatter-resistant goggles, glasses, or a face shield.

Be sure to always use the proper safety equipment. Injuries as a result of a motorcycle crash can be particularly devastating, especially when caused by another’s negligence. If you or a loved one sustained injuries due to another’s actions, the motorcycle accident lawyers at Manchin Injury Law Group can help. Schedule your free initial consultation online or call us today.