To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick & easy remote intake process. Click here to learn more.
Posted in Trucking accident,Uncategorized on November 11, 2015
If you live in North Central West Virginia, it is nearly impossible to avoid driving on Interstate 68 or Interstate 79 during your travels. If you have travelled on the interstate, you have driven near or next to a tractor trailer. Chances are you have also seen many of the recent news articles discussing the numerous tractor trailer accidents on these interstates.
It is no secret that tractor trailer accidents are commonplace. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2009, 74,000 people were injured and 3,380 people were killed in collisions involving large trucks and tractor-trailers. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 3,602 people dies in large truck crashes with 67 percent of these fatalities were occupants of cars and other passenger cars. While statistics show that the number of fatalities caused by large trucking accidents have been decreasing over the last thirty years, large truck accidents do still occur on a frequent basis.
While some accidents are unavoidable, following these safety tips can help to avoid accidents involving large trucks and tractor trailers:
– Drive at a safe and reasonable speed.
– Always use turn signals.
– Do not quickly change lanes around a truck.
– Never cut off a truck.
– Maintain at least a minimum of four-seconds following distance from a truck.
– Stay out of the truck’s large blind spots known as a “no zone.” Remember if you cannot see the truck driver in his mirrors, he probably can’t see you.
– When a truck passes you, slow down as you can anticipate that the truck may spray dirt or water on your car, making it difficult to see.
– Be aware of traffic conditions and road signals.
Large Truck and tractor trailer accidents cause severe injuries which can lead to loss of work and wages. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a large truck or tractor trailer accident, the attorneys at the Manchin Injury Law Group can help. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.